Are you wondering if your roof is doing okay, or do you have concerns that it may need to be repaired or replaced? Here are 12 Warning Signs Your Roof Needs Repair or Replacement.
The Warning Signs
1) Damaged or Missing Shingles
If your roof has suffered damage from storms or if some of the shingles came off for no apparent reason, it’s probably due to a bad installation job and you will want to get this corrected as soon as possible.
2) Sagging Roofline
A sagging roofline is a sign that there is damage to the underlying structure. Broken rafters would place unnecessary pressure on other parts of the roof, which could lead to collapse.
3) Ice-damaged shingle or metal roofing.
Ice dams can cause major damage to your home by introducing roof leaks or damage to the roofing material itself.
4) Water Stains
Water stains indicate a severe roof leak and should be fixed ASAP. Attic insulation may be damaged by the leak, and you may need to have some of the attic insulation replaced.
5) Cupping, Curling, or Cracked Shingles
UV rays, excessive heat, and wintertime freeze/thaw seasons will cause damage to your shingles.
6) Dirty or wet Shingles.
Shingles allowing moisture to be trapped is not good and remember that the moisture may not be right under the offending shingle because water runs down the roof.
7) Shingle granules in the gutters.
Asphalt shingles will shed their granules when their time is up. The granules often find their way into your gutters and look like coarse, black sand.
8) Wear & tear around roof objects.
Objects that penetrate your roof are places where deterioration may happen but the fixes can be confined to these areas.
9) Peeling exterior paint.
If your attic is poorly ventilated, moisture can build up near the roofline, which can cause the paint to peel.
10) Leaks in the attic after it rains.
If you see rain getting into your attic, it may be as simple as replacing some flashing. If you have porous underlayment, you’ll probably need a roof replacement.
11) Outside light in your attic.
If you can see streams of light coming into your attic, know that water can go through those same openings. Check the shingles to see if they need replacing.
12) Higher energy bills.
If you see a spike in your cooling or heating costs, the air may be leaking out through your roof.
These warning signs mean that you need to take action to fix your roof now. Recognizing issues is just the first step but then you have to decide whether roof repair or replacement is better for your situation. With prices ranging from $4,500 to $10,000 to tear off and replace a roof with a basic shingle, you want to be sure a repair job is all you need.
Roof repair is the preferred and less costly option over roof replacement. If done promptly, repairs will only cost a fraction of a roof replacement and can increase your roof’s life span. How do you know if your roof needs repairs?
- Think about the age of your roof. If your house is newer, chances are you can repair the damage.
- If you know when and how the roof was damaged, it can be easy to determine whether a repair is enough.
- Think about how bad the damage is, if it’s a missing shingle, you should be able to repair it. If the damage is to the surface of the roof, you can replace the shingles to fix the problem.
Replace the Roof
The older a roof is, the less efficient repairs will be. You can continue to repair a roof, but repairs are only going to get more costly.
- Knowing if your roof is nearing its 20 to 30-year warranty, replacement is a safe most likely in your future.
- If the structural integrity of the roof is affected then it’s time to replace it.
- You notice a lot of water damage inside your house, so replacing the roof is very important. Some damage can be repaired, but the time and effort would take too much so just replacing it would save you.
Need Help or have questions about 12 Warning Signs Your Roof Needs Repair or Replacement? Contact Us online or give Us a call at 1 (503) 357-8810. From concept to completion, we provide full remodeling services. Let’s Build It!
Kurt Kopp is a dedicated professional with a commitment to excellence. He is a master builder with over 35 years of experience who strives to deliver the highest quality product to his valued customers.