- By Kurt Kopp
- In Design Ideas, How to Choose, How To's, Remodeling, Winter
- Tags Finish Basement
5 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Start Finishing Your Basement
Have you been toying with the idea of finishing your basement for a home theater but not sure if it is worth it? Let’s take a look at what a finished basement has as a National average rate of return, 79%. Yes, it is worth it! These questions will help direct your finishing process, especially #1.
1) Is There Moisture in Your Basement?
Doing a moisture test is a great way to find out if you need to waterproof your basement before remodeling. If not, your basement renovation could be ruined by hidden leaks.
How To Check: Testing for the moisture is a simple process anyone can do by taping 2 feet by 2 feet plastic sheet squares to the floor and walls. After a couple of weeks, check to see if there is condensation. If condensation forms underneath the plastic sheet, your foundation’s is not sealed. If condensation forms on top of the plastic sheet, then your basement needs dehumidifying.
How to Waterproof:
1) Make sure your downspouts drain away from your foundation by installing diverters to send gutter water at least 10 feet from the foundation.
2) You want to regrade the slope of your lawn to drain water away from the basement.
3) Use a waterproof coating or paint on the interior walls when you paint.
4) Seal small cracks around pipes with a concrete-patching compound.
5) If there are cracks, fill cracks inside and out with hydraulic cement, which expands as it cures. Note: A structural engineer should inspect any cracks that are wider than a pencil.
2) Do you Need Room for Food in Your Basement?
You don’t need a full kitchen but a mini-fridge or kitchenette with a cabinet to hold snacks and a microwave for making popcorn on movie nights.
3) Do Want to Add a Bathroom in Your Basement?
A bathroom may be a necessity, especially for the emergency call of the wild. You may not need a full bathroom; just a half bath may do just fine. Here are a few simple guidelines to follow:
1) Have a plumber install a backflow-prevention valve on your main drain line to prevent backups into below-grade sinks or tubs.
2) Add a humidistat to your bath’s exhaust fan so that it will automatically turn you turn the fan on.
4) Make sure to handle your wastewater correctly!
Your bathroom will need a sewage ejector system with a tank and pump.
5) Do you Need Room to Play?
If you are going to use this extra space for play, it is good to find out how you will be able to fit in all your toys. Game tables take up a lot of square footage, not just the table itself but the playing area around it. Today’s video games involve actual physical activity, so think about your gameplay area.
Are you ready to get started? Check out this article on 17 Steps To Finishing Your Basement!
Need Help or have questions about 5 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Start Finishing Your Basement? Contact Us online at or give Us a call at 1 (503) 3357-8810. From concept to completion, we provide full remodeling services. Let’s Build It!
Kurt Kopp is a dedicated professional with a commitment to excellence. He is a master builder of over 35 years of experience that strives to deliver the highest quality product to his valued customer.