- By Kurt Kopp
- In Design Ideas, DIY Projects, Home Maintenance, How to Choose, How To's, Remodeling, Summer
- Tags Cabinet, refacing
Summer Project: Cabinet Refacing for a typical 10’ x 12’ kitchen starts at around $1,000 to $3,000 for the laminate veneer. For real wood veneers, expect to pay $2,500 to $6,000. New hardware runs about $2 to $4 per piece, which can be up to $20 to $50 each for high-end hardware. In comparison, replacing old kitchen cabinets with new cabinets starts at $4,000 to $5,000 and up for stock cabinets. Semi-custom cabinets $8,000 to $10,000 and $16,000 to $20,000 and up for custom-made cabinetry.
- Costs about half as much as replacing cabinets.
- Takes less time and money.
- It’s less hassle than tearing out cabinets.
- You can still use your kitchen while refacing.
- It’s a green kitchen remodeling solution because you’re not adding to the landfill.
- Refacing won’t fix a bad kitchen design.
- You might be tempted to spend more on exotic veneer and hardware, which is saving you less.
Cabinet refacing is replacing the cabinet “skins” on the doors, drawer fronts, and over the existing surface of the body of the cabinets. Hardware such as the hinges handles and drawer pulls—can be replaced during refacing.
- Cabinet doors are removed, drawers are removed, and their fronts are removed.
- The cabinet box fronts are covered, either with natural wood veneer or RTF (Rigid Thermofoil). The rest of the drawers boxes remain intact.
- Cabinet sides are refaced with wood veneer or laminate.
- Existing door hinges can also be reused if they are in good shape. New door hinges are added, are usually installed at this time.
- Existing door and drawer fronts can also be reused if they are in good shape. New doors and drawer fronts are installed.
- Existing hardware can also be reused if it is in good shape. New handles, drawer pulls, and other types of fixtures are usually installed at this time.
- Optional accessories, such as crown molding, glass panels, lighting, or storage accessories, can be installed.
Choices are limitless!
Veneers are available in various colors, patterns, textures, grains, and more to get a kitchen facelift.
- Rigid thermofoil doors: Feature a durable plastic coating over fiberboard, are affordable alternatives to wood or laminate doors.
- Laminates veneer: Come in hundreds of colors and patterns. They are durable and moisture-resistant and priced well.
- Wood veneer: Include wood species, such as oak, cherry, and maple, and you can choose from any color of the stain. This the most expensive option because wood must be carefully sealed to protect against moisture.
A skilled DIYer can also accomplish cabinet refacing by buying a veneer kit. Many professionals specialize in performing cabinet refacing. A cabinet refacing professional will usually require two to four days to complete this service, depending on the size of your kitchen.
Need Help or have questions about the Summer Project: Cabinet Refacing? Contact Us online at or give Us a call at 1 (503) 3357-8810. From concept to completion, we provide full remodeling services. Let’s Build It!
Kurt Kopp is a dedicated professional with a commitment to excellence. He is a master builder of over 35 years of experience that strives to deliver the highest quality product to his valued customer.